18. Bring in 1980s toys/games. We love the idea of incorporating nostalgia in the form of toys like Slinkies, Chia Pets, Etch A Sketch, and Care Bears, to your wedding. This can be done in the form of escort cards, centerpieces, or even as a wedding favor for guests to take home on their way out.
19. Have TVs playing music videos. One way to help you create the atmosphere of the ‘80s is by playing music videos from that era. You can choose to put TVs in your lounge areas or project them onto a wall at your reception.
Attire ideas for your ‘80s-themed wedding
20. Puffy sleeves. Puffy sleeves were a big part of 1980s bridal styles. Here are some options that give you the puffy sleeve essence while still having a modern gown.
21. High neckline. One of our favorite wedding gown trends of the ‘80s was the high neckline. Check out these stunning options if you’re looking to incorporate this trend into your big day.
22. Padded shoulders. Designers have taken the concept of shoulder pads from the 1980s and modernized them in the form of fashion-forward wedding dresses like these:
23. Lace sleeves. Lace has never really gone out of style and will always create a romantic silhouette for every bride. We are obsessed with these three gowns that are sure to add a touch of the ‘80s to your wedding day look.
24. Headpieces. The ‘80s were full of super-funky and sometimes over-the-top headpieces. These toned-down bridal options will be sure to add a bit of the era into your wedding style, without looking costumey.
Perfect venues for an ‘80s-themed wedding
25. Il Villaggio Exclusive Weddings and Special Events
Location: Carlstadt, NJ
Il Villaggio is perfect for the couple looking for a grand ballroom complete with chandeliers and high ceilings. As you can see in the photos, the option for neon-colored lights already gets you one step ahead for the ‘80s wedding of your dreams.
26. The GlassHouse
Location: San Jose, CA
The bold lines and architectural geometry within the GlassHouse set up the perfect foundation for an ‘80s-themed wedding.
27. The Westin Atlanta Perimeter North
Location: Atlanta, GA
One of the most fabulous things about the Westin Atlanta Perimeter North is that it acts as a blank slate. It has everything you need to create a funky and fun ‘80s wedding without anything too elaborate getting in the way.
28. South Congress Hotel
Location: Austin, TX
The South Congress Hotel not only has an incredible indoor space, but also has a gorgeous outdoor space in front of stunning greenery or floor-to-ceiling windows. The aesthetic is post-modern minimalism, making it great for the couple who wants to be inspired by the ‘80s rather than an all-out ‘80s-themed wedding.
29. Harlyne J. Norris Pavilion
Location: Rolling Hills Estates, CA
The ballroom at the Harlyne J. Norris Pavilion is breathtaking and perfect for a larger wedding. The space has dome chandeliers and floor-to-ceiling windows. Not only is the layout of the venue super cool, but it has the ability to project on all four walls, which is fantastic for an ‘80s-themed wedding.
30. de Young Museum
Location: San Francisco, CA
Say “I do” surrounded by incredible art and architecture at de Young Museum in San Francisco. This venue boasts a variety of both indoor and outdoor options to help you in creating the ‘80s wedding of your dreams.
31. Circa Resort & Casino
Location: Las Vegas, NV
The Circa Resort & Casino is a new venue that was built with both the ‘40s and ‘80s architecture and style in mind. As the tallest hotel north of the strip, the views are as incredible as the decor.
Put these ‘80s-themed wedding ideas to good use!
Now that you’ve got some ideas on how to incorporate the 1980s into your venue, decor, invitations, reception, and wardrobe, fine-tune the details with these 57 wedding planning tips and tricks.